See why this book has become an international best seller and a true classic. The Writer’s Journey explores the powerful relationship between mythology and storytelling in a clear, concise style that’s made it required reading for movie executives, screenwriters, playwrights, scholars, and fans of pop culture all over the world.
Both fiction and nonfiction writers will discover a set of useful myth-inspired storytelling paradigms (i.e., “The Hero’s Journey”) and step-by-step guidelines to plot and character development.
Based on the work of Joseph Campbell, The Writer’s Journey is a must for all writers interested in further developing their craft.
The updated and revised third edition provides new insights and observations from Vogler’s ongoing work on mythology’s influence on stories, movies, and man himself.
What people say
“This book is like having the smartest person in the story meeting come home with you and whisper what to do in your ear as you write a screenplay. Insight for insight, step for step, Chris Vogler takes us through the process of connecting theme to story and making a script come alive.”
- Lynda Obst, Producer: Sleepless in Seattle, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Author: Hello, He Lied.
“This is a book about the stories we write, and perhaps more importantly, the stories we live. It is the most influential work I have yet encountered on the art, nature, and the very purpose of storytelling.”
- Bruce Joel Rubin, Screenwriter: Ghost, Stuart Little 2, Deep Impact, Jacob’s Ladder
I teach sometimes, and always say that Chris Vogler is the first book that everyone’s got to read.
– Darren Aronofsky, Oscar-nominated Writer/Director, Black Swan, The Wrestler, Requiem For A Dream
A seven-page memo by Christopher Vogler is now the stuff of Hollywood legend. The idea of a ‘mythic structure’ has been quickly accepted by Hollywood, and Vogler’s book graces the bookshelves of many studio heads.
– Los Angeles Times
Full of insight and inspiration…for both the amateur and professional.
– Richard D. Zanuck , Producer, Alice In Wonderland, Yes Man, Big Fish, The Book of Eli, Driving Miss Daisy (for which he received the Oscar)
Vogler is about the stories we write, and perhaps more importantly, the stories we live. It is the most influential work I have yet encountered on the art, nature, and the very purpose of storytelling.
– Bruce Joel Rubin , Oscar-winning Screenwriter, The Time Traveler’s Wife, Deep Impact, Ghost
One of the most valuable tools in understanding and appreciating the structure of a plot that’s available today. The Writer’s Journey is an essential tool to any writer at any stage of their career
– Debbie Macomber , Bestselling author with 42 million books in print